In a previous blog post, I wrote about Revelation TV promoting Felicity Corbin Wheeler and her views on diet and health. I made reference to her lack of scientific background and my concern that she was advocating the use of unproven therapies and treatments for the prevention and treatment of cancer. I emailed the channel to express my concerns but, undeterred, they have broadcast two more programmes featuring the reverend doctor once again giving her a platform to tell viewers how cancer can be cured by diet. More of that later. First of all, a little more about Corbin Wheeler.
A section of her website is titled ‘Scientific Research’. Purveyors of woo are always keen to legitimise their claims by using science but by so doing, they highlight their ignorance. Trying to validate the use of laetrile for cancer treatment Corbin Wheeler’s website contains the extraordinary statement,
In the mid 1950’s, the American biochemist called Ernst Krebs, known to all medical students for the “Krebs Cycle”, took up the research in Nevada. He was studying the absence of cancer in certain non-industrialised peoples. There are tribes on earth now such as the Hunzas, who do not have cancer. When these people start to eat a western diet, high in animal protein, they succumb like the rest of us.
Back to Revelation TV. The programmes were hosted by presenter Howard Conder who is quite happy to tell viewers about his lack of science education. He sets the background by declaring that the programme will look at ‘both sides’. The ‘other side’ turns out to be reading from a print-out of the CancerResearch UK website. Next we have the staple of ‘alternative’ therapies – YouTube videos. A succession of naturopaths and chiropractors give their views about cancer and diabetes being lifestyle choices. Both programmes ramble through an assortment of quack therapies but fortunately Revelation TV has provided a handy downloadable summary rather oddly called Gary Tunsky on Cells with header.(pdf) In this document Corbin Wheeler sets out the steps we need to take to prevent and treat cancer, complete with scientific explanations. Let’s take a look at a few examples:
- All disease originates at the molecular and cellular level, not at the organ or system level as we’re led to believe by Western medicine. This is a meaningless statement but the use of the term ‘Western medicine’ sets the scene for what’s to come.
- We need photon light and electromagnetic energy, and our cells need photon light and electromagnetic energy. Photon light? ‘Photon’ is a sciencey word – that’s why it’s there.
- The DNA helix coils act as transmitters and receivers of cellular information in the form of electromagnetic pulse energy sent to neighbouring and distant cells, similar to a radio antenna that receives and transmits frequency messages. Absolute gibberish!
- A healthy body functions best when it’s slightly alkaline. To measure the body’s pH you’d have to put it through a blender first. That’s not recommended. There follows a lengthy explanation of how we must have an alkaline body achievable by eating alkaline foods. This nonsense has been thoroughly debunked by Quackwatch.
- Over 90% of western population is dehydrated through over-consumption of acidic and dehydrating foods and beverages ….. . Over 90% of people have kidneys that don’t function?
- It’s my conclusion based on years of research that cancer and AIDS are nothing more or less than a cellular disturbance of the electromagnetic balance. This is stupidity beyond words.
So Corbin Wheeler has the answer to virtually all our health problems. It is of course, eating raw foods, a vegan diet, juicing, colonic irrigation and an alkaline diet. Scientists, oncologists, and doctors are prevented by their ignorance and the influence of the drug companies from treating us in the appropriate manner.
Howard Conder said the programmes would be looking at both sides. He obviously visited the CancerResearch UK website. He must have missed the pages which show that:
- Half of people diagnosed with cancer now survive their disease for at least five years.
- Cancer survival rates in the UK have doubled in the last 40 years.
- Almost three-quarters of children are now cured of their disease, compared with around a quarter in the late 1960s.
(Source: CancerResearch UK)
These results haven’t been achieved by quack diets. They’ve been achieved by hardworking, dedicated scientists using evidence based medicine to relieve suffering.